Enclosure options?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yuki Yuki 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Author

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin

Participant

I know that many materials which are transparent to visible light do not pass LWIR.

Anybody have suggestions for a good option for an enclosure that will hold a Pi along with a FLiR Dev Kit with Lepton module? Perhaps a case or window made from HDPE would work?

Ultimately I’m looking for a solution to provide a degree of protection against dust and the like, not necessarily weather-tight.

Profile photo of Belsin
    Belsin

Hi Kevin,

For ideas on what materials would make a good window for the Lepton, you could check Section 11 from the Lepton Data Brief.

Here’s a snippet:
    “Common materials for LWIR windows include silicon, germanium, and zinc selenide”

– Belsin

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin

Participant

Good info, but I’d suspect that a reasonable size window made out of any of those materials might be outside of a hobbyist budget.

For now, I’m using a section of the cling-wrap from a gas station egg salad sandwich. Got the idea here.

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

Keymaster

Yep, that’s gonna be a LOT less expensive. I’m interested to hear how that works out for you Kevin, good luck!

Cal

Profile photo of Cullen
    Cullen

Participant

I’ve also discovered that the stiff plastic used to store photo paper is mostly thermally transparent. I did a couple quick tests and even 3-4 sheets bundled together allow most of the IR through.

Profile photo of Thomas
    Thomas

Participant

Hello,

good stuff is the proof windows from a motion detector.
    You can it warm up and press a thin film.

Not for outdoor, in case of rain, poison can develop:
    You use 2 ZnSe Laser lens with the same focal length, that’s an enlargement of 1.
    Or 2 with different focal length for a telelense.

regards
    ThomasD

Profile photo of Yuki
    Yuki

Participant

Hi,

Has there been any new developments on more accessible lens to use for the flir lepton dev kit as a transparent protective enclosure?

2 ZnSe lens sounds like it will take up a lot of space.

any other recommendations?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.