Lepton Maker Community / Forum / Installation and getting started / Topics / Pylepton Overlay Guide 2.0 for Raspbian Pixel

Pylepton Overlay Guide 2.0 for Raspbian Pixel

Home Lepton and Windows Forums Raspberry Pi development Installation and getting started Pylepton Overlay Guide 2.0 for Raspbian Pixel

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of José José 1 day, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Author

Profile photo of GroupGets
    GroupGets

Participant

This is an updated guide to get both visible and thermal camera image overlay working on a Raspberry Pi running the new Raspbian Jessie with Pixel OS using our custom pylepton library for the FLIR Lepton. Pixel greatly simplifies setup time over previous methods.

Directory

• P1 — Download Required Software
    P2 — Connect the Pure Breakout board to the Raspberry Pi
    P3 — Software Installation
  • Required Parts

• 1x Raspberry Pi 3 (it will also work on the Pi 2)
    1x MicroSD Card 8GB or larger. This is what we use here: SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Card
    1x FLIR Lepton Thermal Imager
    1x FLIR Lepton Breakout Board
    8x Female to Female jumper wires
    1x Keyboard and Mouse
    1x Micro USB cable and wall adaptor
    1x Monitor with HDMI port or HDMI to DVI converter
    1x HDMI cable
    1x Ethernet cable
    1x Raspberry PI 5MP Camera Board Module v2
  • P1 —Download Required Software

1 — Follow this link and download “RASPBIAN JESSIE WITH PIXEL”

2 — Once downloaded insert your micro SD card into your computer, then follow one of the guides on this page to write the Raspbian Image to your micro SD card.

3 — When the image file has been written to the micro SD card, insert the card into your Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi Micro SD Card

P2 — Connect the Pure Breakout board to the Raspberry Pi

1 — Match your female to female jumpers wires to the images below (note: your jumper wires may differ in color). You can also use the list below.

• CS -> Pin 24, CE0
    MOSI -> Pin 19, MOSI
    MISO -> Pin 21, MISO
    CLK -> Pin 23, CLK
    GND -> Pin 6, GND
    VIN -> Pin 1, 3V3
    SDA -> Pin 3, SDA
    SCL -> Pin 5, SCL
  • Lepton in Breakout Board with Jumper Wires

Raspberry Pi Jumper Wire Layout

2 — Once you have attached the breakout board, connect your monitor, keyboard, mouse, ethernet cable, and finally the micro USB cable to power the board.

Pi Fully Connected

P3 — Software Installation

1 — Once you get to the Pixel desktop, open terminal

Terminal Icon

Terminal Window

2 — Next install python-open cv: sudo apt-get install python-opencv

OpenCV

Yes to OpenCV

3 — Next download pylepton from github: git clone https://github.com/kekiefer/pylepton.git

pylepton git

4 — Then cd to the newly downloaded pylepton folder: cd pylepton

cd pylepton

5 — Now install pylepton software: sudo python setup.py install

pylepton install

6 — Next it is time to change some of the raspberry pi settings, type the following to get to this menu: sudo raspi-config

raspi-config

7 — First enable the camera.

enable camera

yes enable camera

8 — Now go to Advanced Options.

advanced options

9 — Then enable SPI.

enable spi

yes enable

10 — Return to the Advanced Options menu.

advanced options

11 — Now enable i2c.

enable i2c

yes enable

12 — Now we need to exit raspi-config and reboot.

finish button

yes reboot

13 — Once the raspberry pi has rebooted and returned to the desktop, open terminal again. Then type the following to test out the pylepton_overlay software: pylepton_overlay -a 155

pylepton_overlay

14 — Congratulations, you should now see a thermal overlay image on the screen. To close this window press ctrl+c . Now it’s up to you to use pyLepton to create your own interesting Lepton applications on Raspberry Pi. Definitely let us know what you make!

overlay image

Profile photo of Dan
Dan

Participant

Can i use a USB camera instead of Pi camera?

GroupGets

Participant

It may be possible, but the code would likely need to be changed a bit.

Profile photo of nati
nati

Participant

Is Pylepton can extract temperature data with the radiometric lepton ?

GroupGets

Participant

Pylepton has not been updated specifically for radiometry but our new GetThermal app has been. You you can it on a Raspberry Pi, Mac, or most other Linux environments. Here’s a link to the binaries: https://github.com/groupgets/GetThermal/releases

Profile photo of Shubham
Shubham

Participant

I have raspberry pi 3, Flir Lepton 3.0 and Lepton thermal camera Breakout board v1.4.

Before capture thermal images, I need to enable Radiometry Mode, need to enable FFC as automatic, need to enable Telemetry Mode as header using Python.
Can anybody help me to do this?

Profile photo of Shubham
Shubham

Participant

Getting horizontal bands in thermal image using Lepton 3 on raspberry pi 3

Hey, I am using FLIR Lepton 3.0 with raspberry pi 3.
I am able to capture an image using https://github.com/groupgets/pylepton/tree/lepton3-dev but getting a thermal image with horizontal bands.
Further, I have enabled mode settings for telemetry, radiometry and FFC Automatic.
Still getting the same image with bands.
Plese, help.

Profile photo of john
john

Participant

Also have lepton3 installed on rasppi3 with 1.4 breakout board. I also get flickering and horizontal bands. Did you find fix shubham?

Profile photo of Franco
Franco

Participant

I have raspberry pi 3, Flir Lepton 3.0 and Lepton thermal camera Breakout board v1.4.</p><br />
<p>I execute the command “pylepton_averlay -a 155” and I get the following response:</p><br />
<p>mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1:ENOMEM)<br /><br />
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1)<br /><br />
Traceback (most recent call last):<br /><br />
File “/usr/local/bin/pylepton_overlay”, line 66, in <module><br /><br />
main(flip_v = options.flip_v, alpha = options.alpha, device = options.device)<br /><br />
File “/usr/local/bin/pylepton_overlay”, line 17, in main<br /><br />
with picamera.PiCamera() as camera:<br /><br />
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py”, line 431, in __init__<br /><br />
self._init_camera(camera_num, stereo_mode, stereo_decimate)<br /><br />
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py”, line 460, in _init_camera<br /><br />
“Camera is not enabled. Try running ‘sudo raspi-config’ “<br /><br />
picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running ‘sudo raspi-config’ and ensure that the camera has been enabled.<br /><br />
</p><br />

But the camera is enabled!
What could be the problem?

thank you

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Franco Franco.
  • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Franco Franco.

Profile photo of Pooja
Pooja

Participant

I am getting the following error after connecting lepton camera with Rasberry Pi 3 B

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1:ENOMEM)

mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/local/bin/pylepton_overlay”, line 66, in

main(flip_v = options.flip_v, alpha = options.alpha, device = options.device)

File “/usr/local/bin/pylepton_overlay”, line 17, in main

with picamera.PiCamera() as camera:

File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py”, line 431, in init

self._init_camera(camera_num, stereo_mode, stereo_decimate)

File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py”, line 460, in _init_camera

“Camera is not enabled. Try running ‘sudo raspi-config’ “

picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running ‘sudo raspi-config’ and ensure that the camera has been enabled.

But I have enabled the camera and checked all the connections as well

Profile photo of Franco
Franco

Participant

Do I need to have the Raspberry Pi V2 camera module, even if I have FLIR Lepton Thermal Imager and FLIR Lepton Breakout Board to make it work?

thank you

Profile photo of José
José

Participant

Hey there!

I have the exact same problem as Franco and Pooja.
Have you guys manage to get a solution for this?

Best regards

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.