WARNING: Removing power by unplugging the power cable can damage the board. Use the power button or terminal interface to power down the board.
Steps to setup:
NOTE: If you’re starting with a brand new BeagleBone Black: follow the steps on the Beagleboard website to get started.
NOTE: If you’re using a Mac, you can download and use Pi Filler instead of using 7-Zip
1 The Physical Setup.
- a. Connect USB Hub to BeagleBone Black
- b. Connect Mouse and Keyboard to Hub
- c. Connect monitor to BeagleBone Black via micro HDMI cable
- d. /*Setup breadboard and wiring to beaglebone*/
- e. Connect 5V Power Cable to BeagleBone.
- Note: The board can be powered either by connecting the power cable or connecting to a computer via the USB cable. Connecting both can cause damage to the board. For this section of the setup, we are not connecting to a computer so only the power cable should be attached to the board and not the USB cable.
2 Update BeagleBone Black’s packages
- a. apt-get upgrade
- b. apt-get update
- c. apt-get install qt4-dev-tools
3 Reboot BeagleBone Black
4Configure BeagleBone Pins
- a. Run the following command to check the board’s slots. There should be 5
- i. cat /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots
- b. Export SPI device tree overlay with following command:
- i. echo ADAFRUIT-SPI0 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots
- c. When running the cat command from part a, you should now see a 6th slot.
5 Clone BeagleBone Black Lepton repository
- a. git clone https://github.com/PureEngineering/LeptonModule.git
- b. ^^^ This needs to change to wherever the code is uploaded
6Run the demo.
- a. cd into the LeptonModule directory
- b. cd into bbb_video
- c. cd into leptonSDKEmb32PUB
- d. enter command: “make”
- e. cd ..
- f. enter command: “qmake && make”
- g. run the executable by using the command: “./bbb”
- USB Hub
- USB Mouse
- USB Keyboard
- HDMI Monitor
- Micro SD Card (with SD card adapter)
The following are available at www.digikey.com
- BeagleBone Black (comes with USB cable)
- a. Order from: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0/BB-BBLK-000-REVC-ND
- b. Part#: BB-BBLK-000-REVC-ND
- Micro HDMI Cable
- a. Order from: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0687860006/WM1285-ND/2330698
- b. Part#: WM1285-ND
- 3. Power Supply:
- a. Order from: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/WSU050-2000/237-1385-ND/3094911
- b. Part3: 237-1385-ND
- 4. Flir Lepton
- a. Order from: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/image-sensors-camera/1966754?k=lepton
- 5. Lepton Breakout Board
- a. Order from: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/prototyping-products/adapter-breakout-boards/2360393?k=lepton
- b. Part#: 250-0587-00-ND